Penticton Outdoor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Campbell Classic Modification

5 posters

Go down

Campbell Classic Modification Empty Campbell Classic Modification

Post  Admin Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:18 pm

The Flyin' Frenchman and others have rough-raked in a new section of trail, one which connects many short spans of existing cow-trail into a slightly new (and, IMHO improved) method of navigating the 'Campbell Classic' route.

There are two new sections actually; one immediately off the old north parking lot entrance, which serves to avoid the small but ugly climb as the route morphs from two-track into singletrack, and the other - which I've highlighted in the image below, that allows us to avoid riding up from the DQ Table to the road, then down the road to the trailhead of the Whoop section of the Classic trail.

The orange line below shows the path we've been historically riding up from the DQ to the road. The blue line demarcates the new route.

In a nutshell; attain the DQ Table, then begin the singletrack as though you were heading for the service road as usual. About 10 meters along you'll notice a new, 'rough-raked' trail heading off to your right. Head along this new path, following ribbons as you make your way along. 650m later you'll pop out at the trailhead to the Whoop!

Tnx. Flyin' Frenchman and other trail gremlins for this new option. It needs a lot of tires on-trail in order to smooth out the bits between the old existing trails, but time will tell.

Campbell Classic Modification New%20DQ%20Route%20%28small%29

Andrew

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.sweetsingletrack.ca

Back to top Go down

Campbell Classic Modification Empty Re: Campbell Classic Modification

Post  dbrooke Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:41 pm

Nice work lads. Can't wait to give the new route a spin- looks like a well thought out line. I've noticed that the trail fairies have been busy. A couple of nice, new hits on the Spine and near the new line above Whoop. Well built and fun.

dbrooke

Back to top Go down

Post  Dontfollowme Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:06 pm

With the forecast the way it is tomorrow, it might be a good day to go do some exploring.
Dontfollowme
Dontfollowme

Back to top Go down

Campbell Classic Modification Empty And yet another

Post  Admin Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:15 pm

There is also a "new" line which runs parallel and above the existing route in from the north parking lot to just a shy of the DQ table, described heading south.

Its quite old and well-pounded in (by wildlife). There are sections of it that look every bit as used as the main trail that we've been riding for years, except this one has very few tire-tracks on it.

The "new route" avoids several annoying sections of the regular route.

Andrew

Last edited by Admin on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Campbell Classic Modification Empty New Trail

Post  Dontfollowme Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:27 am

Who wants to seek permission for building a connector route between Crop Circles and Burnt Rock?
If someone could do that, then we could get started planning a route and then do some digging.

This section would cut off about 1-2 km of road section that we sort of used last year for Toonie Tuesday, when people weren't lost.
The Canyon route is a little disconcerting for Novice Riders.

I've still yet to ride the New section from Nth Parking lot to DQ but i figure we are starting to see a great Novice Friendly trail around Campbell which makes a great way to invite new riders into Mtn biking. This can be only a great thing for Cycling here in Penticton.
With the plan for a Provincial Park for Campbell, these trails show that you guys really care about Cycling here and will help keep these local parcels of land and trails protected for years.
Dontfollowme
Dontfollowme

Back to top Go down

Campbell Classic Modification Empty Tonnie race

Post  surferboy** Curt Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:16 pm

I like the cayon trail but I don't think it would be wize to have it in the races?.......... scratch
surferboy** Curt
surferboy** Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  1part@atime Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:49 pm

Canyon trail needs a passing lane. I vote floating wall ride.
1part@atime
1part@atime

Back to top Go down

Campbell Classic Modification Empty Permission

Post  Admin Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:09 pm

I'll talk to the land managers and see what they say about a new trail between the end of "Circles" and "Burnt Rock". That way we could use that new section of the Burnt Rock trail that BigG put in last year to connect back down to the northern portion of the Canyon Trail - just beyond the sketchy section...

Andrew

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dontfollowme Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:26 pm

Thanks Andrew, that would be great.

Hopefully we can get the go ahead!!
Dontfollowme
Dontfollowme