Penticton Outdoor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Apex Clearcut Logging - Meeting in Penticton

Go down

Apex Clearcut Logging - Meeting in Penticton Empty Apex Clearcut Logging - Meeting in Penticton

Post  Admin Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:37 am

Hi Riders

Check out the attached blurb (text at bottom).  Its from the Apex Property Owners Association; a group of really great people.  The current timber-harvest plans for [clear-cutting] at Apex Resort are maniacal - as they are directly adjacent to and above watersheds, half a dozen excellent hike / bike trails - all of which will be "gone", and a whole lot of land in the general area.

The vistas of clear-cuts in the area to date are right "in your face" and funkin' ugly - directly from the resort community as well as from the ski hill; and I'm talking about from nearly every ski run.

I'm throwing 100% support behind this one and ask that you cowboy up and attend the meetings as noted.  "Someone else" isn't going to make this issue go away; (you) are the people who are going to make or break this project!

Below is the text that I was forwarded by Chair, APOA Forestry Advisory Committee, Jeff Brown;

Forest health and wildfire hazard are a real concern to all property owners and recreation users of the area surrounding Apex Village and Nickel Plate Lake.  We are hosting an Information Forum in Penticton on Monday, June 10, 7 PM at the Penticton Community Centre, Meeting Room #4, that I encourage you to attend.

No matter where you stand on the issue of logging and forest management in BC, as an Apex homeowner or recreation user of the Apex-Nickel Plate area you probably hope that somebody somewhere has the mandate, authority, and funding to develop and execute an appropriate and cohesive plan for maintaining forest health and performing fire hazard reduction around Apex Village.  As it turns out, that just isn't the case.  

The APOA Forestry Advisory Committee has concluded that we need government to get directly involved because under the current regulation the three forestry companies operating in the Apex area are simply not motivated, structured, nor compensated for working together to develop and execute a long-term forest stewardship plan suitable to a recreation area like Apex.  As you will hear at the Forum, the Committee has tried for months to get the Province's attention.  Government has explicitly stated they will only react to crisis:  bad press and local unrest are apparently the key metrics they use.  I wish I was exaggerating, but that is what we've been told by every level of government and industry.  No one wants a crisis, indeed we are working hard to avoid one.  But we do need informed, and yes, vocal Apex advocates to motivate government to get involved.

Please forward this email and poster to others in the Apex community and encourage them to attend as well.  Yes the poster looks a bit alarmist, but it is tough to get anyone's attention these days, isn't it?    

We all recognize there are many nuances to this issue, and multiple sides to be sure.  So come to the Forum and ask your questions.  They will be answered as honestly and thoroughly as possible.  

Jeff Brown
Board member, Apex Property Owners Association
Chair, APOA Forestry Advisory Committee

Last edited by Admin on Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.sweetsingletrack.ca

Back to top Go down

Apex Clearcut Logging - Meeting in Penticton Empty Results

Post  Admin Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:31 am

So... there were less than a half-dozen mountain-bike riders that showed up to inform themselves about the current situation at Apex Resort, and how you can pitch-in to help out... I guess very few of you hike / bike those amazing alpine trails in the summertime?

Come on people, watching an episode of the mind-cancer that is television isn't more important than supporting your grass-roots movements - that in turn support your recreational opportunities!

Andrew

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.sweetsingletrack.ca

Back to top Go down