Penticton Outdoor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who to vote for?

3 posters

Go down

Who to vote for? Empty Who to vote for?

Post  Bricklin Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:51 pm

Does PACA have info on who is pro cycling in the coming municipal election?

Pierre

Bricklin

Back to top Go down

Who to vote for? Empty Re: Who to vote for?

Post  Rowena Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:19 pm

I'm going to contact all of them and post answers here... I know Patrick Buchannen is (and he was the cyclist for the lead male in Challenge)... and Lidtke has always been supportive.

Ill get back to you!
Rowena
Rowena

Back to top Go down

Who to vote for? Empty My Questions

Post  Rowena Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:27 pm

I asked 8 questions (#5 and #7 are bike related):

1. What are the 3 top things you would do to encourage a vibrant downtown?
2. What are the 3 top things you would do to encourage tourism?
3. What are the 3 top things you would do to encourage business investment in Penticton?
4. If a development needs an expansion of infrastructure, should the developer or the tax payer pay?
5. Do you agree with expanding and improving Penticton's bike lane infrastructure? If yes, how will you achieve this?
6. Do you agree with expanding and improving Penticton's transit system? If yes, how will you achieve this?
7. Do you see potential in promoting Penticton and the South Okanagan as a cycling destination, including Triathlon, KVR, and Mountain Biking? If yes, how will you achieve this?
8. What will be your first initiatives once elected?

I contacted everyone but Vic Powell, I couldn't find an email, Facebook, or Twitter. If anyone has info on him I will contact him too.

I will post answers as I get them.

Mayoral candidates:
x Brian Henningson
x Garry Litke
x Vic Powell

Councillor candidates:
x Kevin Andrews
x Patrick Buchanan
x Lynn Kelsey
x Andre Martin
x Katie Robinson

Last edited by Rowena on Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rowena
Rowena

Back to top Go down

Who to vote for? Empty Patrick Buchanan

Post  Rowena Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:30 pm

Patrick Buchanan
(via Facebook)

Rowena.

Q1;  There has to be more of a effort from the citizens to go for walks in the downtown core. More socializating. There is too much emphasis on going downtown to shop.  Downtown should become a meeting place also. cafes, ice cream shops. buskers. make it a family, lover, friends hang out european style centers.

Q2; More cultural events. Scottish highland games, Greek, East Indian, Portuguese festivals. More advertising about the sourronding area, Apex in the summer, outdoor pursuits. clean up the river channel,work with the RDOS and native band. Have a family flote the channel day.

I often ask citizens what types of business would you like to see come to Penticton.  I never get a solid answers. Of course better paying jobs are needed but are we willing to pay the cost to keep them or will we still go to kelowna to save 5 cents? So Because there are so meny different types of business to choose from, I will leave my qustion here.

Q4; Developer pays.

Q5: Yes. Now that my children are riding more there needs to be safer of the main road areas. I would like to see these through out the city. I do believe there is a committee in place already for cycling lanes. I was very impressed with Victoria BC.

Q6: I have lived in Penticton for 34 years. Our bus service has never changed. I believe in smaller buses and longer operating hours. Bus service to Summerland, Naramata and around Skaha Lake. This is a hard sell to the citizens. They love their cars. A service to the SOEC befor and after all events would be nice too. I have spoken with them and they feel it could be done.  I lived in Kaleden as a youth a bus would have made it easer.

Q7: Penticton is well known for cycling. All forms. Because of the fondo it is getting bigger.  People know about Penticton and the area.

Q8:  I have never given this much thought.  Sorry Rowena.

As for achieveing these qustions. I would like to sit in on the committees and find out what has succeeded or failed. I would like to be more informed.

Thank you for your qustions. I hope this is of some help. I do have a elect Patrick Buchanan page.  I do enjoy these inpromtu qustions. I want people to feel comfortable with asking me. I enjoyed this. Thank you again.

Last edited by Rowena on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Rowena
Rowena

Back to top Go down

Who to vote for? Empty Andre Martin

Post  Rowena Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:33 pm

Andre Martin
(via email)
1. What are the 3 top things you would do to encourage a vibrant downtown?  A. Infill housing similar to what Vancouver is doing with garages and encourage property owners to build up a level or two with suites for rent or purchase. B. Challenge store owners to stay open late one or two nights per week and stick with the plan for 6 months C. Encourage more street festivities etc after hours like bicycle racing, mini marathons or food tasting nights.

2. What are the 3 top things you would do to encourage tourism?
A. Continue to work with the developers along the south end like Barefoot Beach with infrastructure investment which creates tourism related businesses.

B. Develop our very own Ambassador program spearheaded by the PHA and Tourism Penticton working together for all business.  Possibly create a short video showcasing the region and ask all citizens to email or post on Facebook on say Penticton’s birthday. And create the same video on cd for those not so electronically inclined to send to friends and relatives. Arm our business and vacation travelers  with materials and invitations to visit us.

C. Continue to lobby Jazz to fly west to Penticton from Calgary.

3. What are the 3 top things you would do to encourage business investment in Penticton?
A. More resources for the Economic Development department. (right now it is a one person show) We need to get all our businesses working together to create supplier agreements with each other and possibly joint market to their existing clientele. We need someone to go out and sell it.

B. Target smaller technology type business that can do business from anywhere. (those looking for work/life balance) possibly creating a technology centre

C. Extend the investment zone bylaw for a few more years. (this has worked and we need to continue it)

4. If a development needs an expansion of infrastructure, should the developer or the tax payer pay?
A) The developer should pay in the long run, the incentive zones have worked which does mean the taxpayer provides a carrot but over time we re-coup our investment

5. Do you agree with expanding and improving Penticton's bike lane infrastructure? If yes, how will you achieve this?
A) Yes. One thing is to consider paving the KVR/Trans Canada Trail to Naramata to help road cyclists as it is dangerous along Naramata Road. We have to have bike stations where tourists and employees can park their bikes downtown in a safe building/locker etc. possibly located in the City's parking lots just off Main street. More lanes need to be identified and i see the next one from Walmart to behind Cherry Lane to Safeway over to Fairview down to Winnipeg to the Lake. This provides a proper lane on both sides of Main.

6. Do you agree with expanding and improving Penticton's transit system? If yes, how will you achieve this?
A. I really think we should look at eliminating the large buses and going to much smaller vehicles (with bike racks) and more of them so it is more convenient. We would have to take into consideration those in wheelchairs (possibly their own vehicle and route). And finally this may be a perfect way to do research and build new Transit buses right here in Penticton and sell the concept to the rest of North America.

7. Do you see potential in promoting Penticton and the South Okanagan as a cycling destination, including Triathlon, KVR, and Mountain Biking? If yes, how will you achieve this?
Yes, well i sit on the Board of Challenge so i see the potential. We have to work with all the communities in the South Okanagan/Similkameen and the Province to widen the shoulders of  HWY 97, East Side Road etc. to provide a safe environment. As mentioned earlier possibly paving the short portion to Naramata of the KVR and working with PACA to host a Mountain Biking Event/Competition through the trails they've developed. The RDOS and The City could provide seed money similar to the Octoberfest plan. Trial ride day for those that don't have a bike. Bikes could be provided by PACA (funding could come from The Community Foundation) to help grow the sport and create awareness at home first..it is much easier then to get public on board.

8. What will be your first initiatives once elected?
A. Grow the Economic Development department by shifting resources from within City Hall
B. Start dialogue on forming Neighbourhood Associations
C. Youth..use the Neighbourhood Associations as a conduit to get youth in action. Look at forming a City Committee of all youth that identifies what youth need and want from their community and what they can do give back.
D. City and RDOS  possible amalgamation. Get talks started to see what wins are for both sides and what obstacles have to be overcome. This is a long term project but we need to start now....if it doesn't make sense then we can put an end to the two tier pricing discussions.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Rowena on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Rowena
Rowena

Back to top Go down

Who to vote for? Empty Brian Henningson

Post  Rowena Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:34 pm

Brian Henningson
(via email)

I've been busy, and I've never met you, but I will answer your questions.
#1. Fix the parking issues downtown. I would like to see murals painted throughout the town. More downtown festival type events.

#2. Fix the parking issues downtown. I would like to see murals painted throughout the town. More advertising can't hurt, over the past several years, California, Alberta, and Newfoundland/Labrodor have blitzed some tv ads for tourism.

#3. Let them know I am pro business. Eliminate some of the bureaucracy that exists at city hall. Let them know I am accommodating to do what is required to assist in their development, instead of just saying no, this is a new concept, and we have old outdated rules that do not allow this, just like city hall did with my own small business idea.

#4. The developer.

#5.  I am a huge cycling fan. In the summer of 2010 I bicycled across Canada from Victoria, BC to St. John's, NFLD. I am always open to bike lanes, and helping cyclists stay safe. If you are asking if I am immediately putting money forward to do this, I can not say yes at this time. I do not have the financials of the money situation at city hall, but the way they have been wasting millions lately, I am expecting city hall to be short on money.

#6.  I have not found the transit system to meet my needs in Penticton, so I usually bicycle or drive. I would like it to reach the maximum possible riders, and at appropriate times. There is no reason they can not have a bus running later than they normally do to accommodate such things as concerts at the SOEC.

#7. Yes. I would continue to advertise and market Penticton as the place to be, as many triathletes already know, as they call Penticton home. Many world class athletes train and live here, already. The KVR is also a big draw. I actually have the book Cycling the KVR, but have not had the chance to cycle it yet.

#8. First things I will be doing is checking the healthiness of the citys funds. I will be reviewing workers job duties, and making sure there is no overlapping or excessive waste. I would like to deal with parking issues. I would like to see some decent paying jobs that can support families long term (the prison would have been perfect for this, Gary Litke and many citizens voted no for this. I guess they want Penticton to fizzle into a town of pawnshops & second hand stores). It's ironic that there is a fancy university/college, and yet no jobs when they finish, they have to move away. If I don't get on as Mayor I will spend another winter working in the deep North of Alberta with Akita drilling. So jobs are a very important issue with me on a personal level. Also focusing on economic growth and getting people here year round for more than just a couple months in the summer. I have lots more things I will do and ideas to promote, but these are in the forefront.

Cheers, Brian Henningson.
Rowena
Rowena

Back to top Go down

Who to vote for? Empty Tonight's Gig

Post  Admin Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:49 am

After attending tonight's event, I feel that (I personally) will vote for Litke as mayor and Andre Martin as councilor.  I have long felt that Martin was a good candidate for the job, and after hearing him speak this evening, still feel this way.  The guy is as logical as the day is long, which I like.

Who to vote for? Spock-300x240

Litke is an associate of mine, so my opinion of him is biased (to the positive).  After watching tonight's mayoral 'debate' as it were, I feel that he is flat-out the only individual who has thrown his hat into the ring who should run the city.

Brian Henningson: he seems like a nice guy, but was quite unprepared to answer questions and is too shy to take the pounding that a position like mayor will dish out. Maybe in a decade or so he'll make good mayoral material, but for now he has a lot to absorb about the post.

Vic Powell...  Holy crap, I've never seen a dude with an attitude like his short of the big-screen.  He reminds me of a Drill Sergent - and he did say that he spent 30 years in the military, which would explain his slant on life...

Who to vote for? Drill_sergeant

A.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.sweetsingletrack.ca

Back to top Go down

Who to vote for? Empty Katie Robinson

Post  Rowena Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:04 pm

(Katie Robinson)
Hi Rowena,

Sorry for the delay...this is no doubt too late for you, however with
any luck maybe you made it to the all candidates forum on Tues. before
the advanced polling.

- Start with cleaning it up
- Bring in legislation with regard to "brown lots" & temporarily fill
them in with portable landscaping, etc. similar to what the City of
Nanaimo does.
-

2. Make better use of our Trade & Convention Centre
- Encourage more Recreational & Sports Tourism with integrated &
cross marketing to all events
- Build on Penticton's "uniqueness" instead of going after "big box" stores.

3. Target market Penticton as a Seniors destination
- Go after Health Care as an Industry...ties in with seniors &
provides better paying jobs for our younger generation.
- Offer incentives & partnership with private companies & other
levels of Gov't
with apprenticeships in the trades & mentoring. ( perhaps partnering
with O.U.C.) college.

4. absolutely the developer.

5. yes...it must be planned for in advance during the budgeting. I was
instrumental in bringing the first bike lanes to Penticton during my
previous time on council.

6. When economically possible & the city's growth warrants it.

7. Absolutely... again I spent years trying to get the bike lanes for
Penticton, fighting with our public works dept. & many years working
on a trail system for Okanagan Mtn.for the off road bikers & helped
provide city parking for Skaha Bluffs climbing area which is one of
the five premier climbing sites in the world!
- there is also a new bike trail being worked on throughout the entire
Okanagan from Sicamous, South to the border along the lake that a
group is working on with the RDOS.
- I would support all such initiatives as soon as money was available
in the budget. However the planning needs to be done first.

8. My first & foremost concern will always be the budget & finding
ways to spend the taxpayers money wisely. We must get the spending
under control first by addressing the difference between "wants' &
"needs"...for instance, I do not believe we need to waste money
reversing the flow of traffic on Main St.
After this the Hospital expansion needs immediate attention & our
trade & convention centre needs to get back on track.... but first, I
will need to get elected!

Again, my apologies for missing your email...I have been experiencing
some technical difficulties with the website...in future, please feel
free to call me direct at my home phone number 250-492-0852 if you
need immediate answers...
Thanks again, Rowena...all the best, Katie
Rowena
Rowena

Back to top Go down

Who to vote for? Empty Garry Litke

Post  Rowena Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:05 pm

(Gary Litke)
Great Questions Rowena.  Sorry I have not been able to get to Facebook with everything else going on.  We will encourage a vibrant downtown by implementing the plan that has been adopted by council, after extensive consultation with the community.  The tourism question has been answered in detail in the Herald, but basically we need to unite the two tourism associations, market this area as a single destination instead of competing with neighbouring communities, and consider a 1% destination tax for those who want to contribute to the tourism budget in order to boost their own businesses. (restaurants, wineries etc.)  I have been working to improve the bike lanes and transit system, and would like to work with local organizations to establish the south Okanagan as a cycling precinct.   My first inititiative if elected will be to get some action on the Hospital expansion.
Rowena
Rowena

Back to top Go down

Who to vote for? Empty Re: Who to vote for?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down