Penticton Outdoor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shared Use Trails? Your opinion...

2 posters

Go down

Shared Use Trails?  Your opinion... Empty Shared Use Trails? Your opinion...

Post  Admin Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:18 am

Recently I’ve witnessed a lot of discussion, both pro and con, regarding the issue of shared use trails. To be specific – trails where hikers, walkers, pedal-bikes share space with motorcycles and dirt-bikes etc.

I have my opinions on the topic, which I’ll keep to myself for the time being; but I’ll share them with you after I hear a little bit of what you have to say… so let er’ rip!

Andrew D.

Last edited by Admin on Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.sweetsingletrack.ca

Back to top Go down

Shared Use Trails?  Your opinion... Empty Re: Shared Use Trails? Your opinion...

Post  eachin Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:40 pm

I think there's lots of potential for trails to be shared by different user groups if those groups are willing to accommodate each other. In my experience, hikers and equestrians are less than friendly to mountain bikers despite my (and my friends) every attempt to accommodate them and engage in friendly conversation. I'm obviously biased, and there's room for improvement from all parties, but I think there needs to be a major shift in the attitudes of some of the other trail users. I've yet to run across an unfriendly mountain biker, yet, I frequently come across hikers and equestrians who wouldn't give me the time of day, or even return my friendly greeting.

Perhaps their opinions of mountain bikers have been soured by past experience, or FUD, which only further underscores the importance of trying to overcome those pre-conceptions.

Speaking of which, I applaud your efforts to develop relationships with the other user groups in the Penticton area, and beleive that PACA should try to continue to engage the clubs of these other trail users in cooperative efforts (trail maintenance seems like an obvious choice). Perhaps Penticton will be one of the first places where different trail users will truely begin to appreciate eachother rather than casting dirty looks.

That said, I think there are also times when it does not make sense to share trails. Some trails simply aren't well suited to other user groups, like downhill mountain biking trails where bikes will be coming down the mountain (or literally flying through the air) at a high rate of speed on a trail where traffic is expected to be traveling in a single direction.

I also read your take on stunts in the forest which I think is interesting food for thought. I can appreciate your sentiments about the eyesore that manufactured wood stunts can become on an otherwise pristine landscape. I would even be inclined to agree that widespread stunt proliferation would be a bad thing. On the other hand it is entirely possible to construct tasteful stunts from natural wood/material found in the area, and to maintain it as can be seen by many of the trails in North Shore Vancouver among other places. Granted, this makes stunt creation and maintenance a greater endeavour, but I think it's important to cater to all riding groups, otherwise you will only end up with more unsanctioned, uncontrolled, poorly planned, implemented, and maintained stunts by people who's needs are not being met. I'd suggest that certain existing stunted trails should be chosen for maintenance/development rather than excluding this style of riding/trail from the club's participation.

Liability and insurance aren't my forte so I guess all of the above could be moot if it's not feasible from that perspective.

Anyway, just thought I'd toss in my two cents. I'm not even a Penticton area resident, but I do plan to join the club and do as much riding in the area as I can find time for.
eachin
eachin

http://kylemaclean.net

Back to top Go down

Shared Use Trails?  Your opinion... Empty A dirt Biker's Perspective

Post  Admin Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:50 am

I happened upon this 'reply' to hikers discussing dirt-bike and quad issues on the Club Tread discussion forum today - there are some great solutions here - I hope that some dirt-bike riders / community leaders in the sport get an opportunity to read this:

Hi! my name is Scott Ellis I'm the president of the Squamish Dirt Bike Association. I thought maybe I could put my 2 cents in. Our SDBA board members have been to countless meetings with other user groups and I have heard every idea,threat and argument known to man. In every group there is a hater. The downhill skier hated the snowboarders, the cross country guy hated the snowmobiler's, the dirt biker hated the mountain biker and he hated the dirt bikers,atv, hikers, dog walkers, horses. One of them told me that they should all get off his trail another said that after a great ride to the top of a mountain, a jet flew over and it ruined his ride. I know that these few do not represent the majority, but it shows some of the attitudes out there.

OK where to start? I have seen what works and what doesn't. First off putting rocks or lock blocks beside a gate won't work, it's just a couple minute hindrance. I once went with the trails coordinator for DOS so he could show me some lock blocks he had placed with a backhoe the day before at some trail heads to stop atv's. You should have seen the look on his face when he saw that they were shoved out of the way...and this was only one day later! A tree, a $10 princess auto come-along and 10 mins later your on your way...that's for ATVs...dirt bike well you just lay it on it's side and drag it under the gate.

Signs. Well they work for the people that care. The younger guys just see that as big brother and fan their nose at it. I find that signage from groups such as ours and not the government seems to go alot farther with some riders.... but even then they usually end up getting torn down...What sign? I didn't see no sign! It's funny how sighs are always for "other people". When we had that really hot summer awhile back and they closed the bush down to EVERYONE because of fire hazard, you wouldn't believe how many hikers and dog walkers I saw coming out of the forest. I can remember back in the '80's driving my Jeep past the NO TRESPASSING sigh in the old Blair rifle range and being screamed at by a guy and his wife..."Didn't you see the NO TRESPASSING sign?" And what are you doing I ask...I'll tell ya "YOUR TRESPASSING!!!" Yes that means you too!

Bylaws/enforcement Who's going to do this? Phone the RCMP and tell them there's a dirt bike on a trail in the bush and see how far that will get you. Believe me I've phoned about kids screaming up my street on the back wheel...making all dirt bikers look bad...and all you get is a polite "What do you want us to do about it". The Conservation Officers are suppose to take care of this, but they're spread way to thin and as one of them told me "We have more important things to do".

Confrontation/Violence This is not a good idea...for obvious reasons...you could end up on the wrong side of the beating. The example that weedWhacker mentioned involving the youth being "savagely beaten" is a little exaggerated. What happened was a mountain biker heard a dirt bike coming his way and got off his bike and waited for him to come around the corner. When the DB rider rounded the corner he was punched off his bike and sent tumbling down the bank. This happened so quick, the mountain biker had not realized he had just assaulted a 10 year old boy until he heard the boy screaming and crying. Now he has to deal with the boys father who came around just in time to see the aftermath...and he did to the mountain biker what any dad would do to a 30 something year old guy who just punched out his 10 year old...lets just say it wasn't pretty. So! What did this solve? A guy heads out for a nice relaxing MB ride and a father and son go for a nice relaxing DB ride and because one of them feels his sport is the "correct" one, the day is horribly ended. COME ON PEOPLE!!! LIFE IS TO SHORT FOR THIS KIND OF CRAP!!!

Because of my involvement with the SDBA I know where I can and cannot ride in the Squamish area and you wouldn't believe how many times I am stopped and told that I shouldn't be on this trail. "Really" I say "And why is that?"..."Because it's a mountain bike trail"... "Are you from here?" I ask..."No I'm from Van"..."Have you ever done any trail maintenance in Squamish? or do you belong to any of the local clubs"...NO!!! I don't have time to do that I'm not driving all the way up here to do trail work!"...Oh! I say "So you take but don't give back, do you know who built this trail? NO? Well your talking to one of them. So lets get this straight your not from here, but you can tell me that I shouldn't ride a trail that I built and maintain! My point is make sure you know what your talking about before you confront another trail user. Don't just assume that your the only user group allowed on this trail. Yes there are obvious areas but most are not.

I would not recommend dropping trees across the trail. My wife works for the Forest Service and I can tell ya you don't want that fine $$$. 30cm logs across the trail will stop the inexperienced riders which is most likely the type thats tearing up your area. A mature experienced rider, on the proper bike could ride over a 12" log with ease But then this rider is not the type to do damage. Believe it or not the right rider on the right bike can ride your favorite trail and you would never know it...I know because I do it all the time...Tread lightly... Dig no holes (DNH) If I was to put my bike(300cc 2stroke KTM power valve turned way down,suspension turned way down,12/52 gearing and a Michelin trials tire) on a motocross track it would be a joke and likewise if you put motocross bike in the tight single track... you end up with ruts and holes. Sure there are some really good riders out there that can run a track bike in the woods, and in some areas like Kamloop's they work quite well, but not in the steep,tight nasty stuff we have here in the Howe Sound...I have yet to see it. Our club is always doing trail maintenance in the Cat Lake area and you can always tell where the moto guys have been. Have you guys seen a trials bike? This is a 150 lb bike that go where mountain goats won't and do it without leaving a mark!

So! what does the SDBA think will work? We need to give the riders somewhere to ride. The motocross track was closed because of development in Squamish. This left a large group of riders with nowhere to ride. So we desperately need a track, and the SDBA is working hard to achieve this, but it is not as easy as it sounds. I could go into details but it would take all day... a letter to your MLA supporting a track in Squamish will go alot farther than complaining to your local gov. Joan is well aware of the situation, but a little more push always helps. Just FYI#1 the track in Nanaimo generates $1,000,000 per national event. FYI#2 motocross racing is tied and sometimes placed ahead of soccer for the honor of the worlds most physically enduring sport...it's a young man's/woman sport...at 44 I'm way to old for that!...lol. So don't ever think that riding a dirt bike isn't exercise.

We also need an "Off Road Park" like they have in Oregon/California. This is an insured, designated area that "everybody" can use. Users pay an annual fee( it's only $20 in the US) and they enjoy a trail system that is well marked with signage green circle/double black diamond etc. There is spot for kids,a picnic area and enough parking for an event. Trail marshals keep an eye on things and can and will kick out riders that are trying to run a bald tire or the biggest problem "LOUD BIKES" Noise annoys!!! 96db or less!!!! Manufacturers will supply loner bikes and gear for 1st timers to try and have even offered to hire a full time instructor(the hope is you will buy the brand of bike you trained on) The long and short of it is rather than trying to relieve the symptoms why not find a cure. A world class track and off road park is the cure "Build it and they will come".
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.sweetsingletrack.ca

Back to top Go down

Shared Use Trails?  Your opinion... Empty Re: Shared Use Trails? Your opinion...

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down