Penticton Outdoor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Struture Deconstruction...

Go down

Struture Deconstruction... Empty Struture Deconstruction...

Post  Admin Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:35 am

I've been meaning to do this for months, but never seem to get around to it for one reason or another, so perhaps its time to pass the buck on the project...

Might someone 'out there' please bring a hammer and pry-bar with them the next time they go up to the north parking lot on Campbell Mt. and tear down the remnants of wood that are nailed to the trees just to the right of the Campbell Classic singletrack trail-head?

Whoever put it there made numerous errors in judgement;

Using crappy material - Please use pressure-treated lumber or cedar to construct forest stunts

Nailing to trees - Don't do it. Tree movement weakens your structure almost immediately, nailing into trees may kill them and building in this manner pisses off land owners / land managers

Building without the required skills it sounds mean, but the truth is that if you don't possess carpentry skill of some sort, then don't build publicly accessible stunts. You are setting yourself and likely others up for a nasty fall or worse.

All of the above conspired to seal the fate of the Campbell Classic trail-head 'structures'. I encourage someone, anyone - to remove the leftover eyesore from the area. Throw the wood near the abandoned fridge nearby. I'll contact the RDOS and have them clear up the lot of it.

BTW; for those interested in learning technical trail feature construction, here is a good place to start:

Basic www.mbta.ca/assets/pdfs/trail_standards_first_edition.pdf

Intermediate http://crankfernie.com/construction_guidelines.html

Advanced Build (at least your first few structures) with the help of a journeyman carpenter. The trade has churned out thousands of journeymen over the years; they are a proverbial fountain of knowledge, as they've studied static and dynamic loading on a wide variety of materials under an amazing array of situations. If you're serious about building TTF's, have appropriate material at hand and have permission from the land-owner of the property in question, I will connect you with a retired journeyman who will work alongside you for two or three builds, cost-free.

A.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.sweetsingletrack.ca

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum