Penticton Outdoor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Campbell Classic - New Burnt Rock Extn.

4 posters

Go down

Campbell Classic - New Burnt Rock Extn. Empty Campbell Classic - New Burnt Rock Extn.

Post  Admin Tue May 28, 2013 12:38 am

Brent, Gary and I gained permission from the land manager, then flagged out the new Burnt Rock connector this evening.

We then rode it in both directions; beauty!

If its rideable without the trail in place, we guarantee that its going to be a sweet piece of work with a bit of blood, sweat and beer! Will keep everyone posted on an upcoming trail-day.

Other news - not so good; someone has taken it upon themselves to build a rickety 'skinny' at the beginning of the Fiori section of the Campbell Classic loop.

If you, the builder, are reading this, I apologize in advance for my frank words here - but dude - the workmanship is completely sub-par and you have managed to contravene the most basic tenets of stunt building:

A) Nailing to live, healthy young trees
B) Using inferior materials

C) You didn't seek permission from the land-owners before you built - not that this is unique in the valley - but Campbell Mt. is a special case.

I'm by no means against wooden structures; but if you are going to build them, they have to be built with the utmost quality and safety in mind. Better yet - work through the proper channels, gain permission to build structures -- and then construct them to a carpenter's standard.

The big picture is that local riders and hikers envision - and are working toward seeing - Campbell Mt. designated as a regional park. To this end, trail builders need to show absolute quality, leadership and responsibility in how we do things up there.

If you want to see what excellence in workmanship looks like, invite a journeyman carpenter along the next time that you build something; there are more than enough of them unemployed in the valley these days.

There is also this;

http://bit.ly/L9eWkD

...and if that doesn't do it for ya', I can dig my old carpentry apprenticeship books out of the basement for you to peruse.

I know that you are going to be pissed at me for this, but I'm going to go up there and disassemble that sketchy contraption. If someone gets hurt on that thing; you are screwed - and so are 'we' - as it'll reflect poorly on your fellow Campbell Mt. trail-builders.

Non-riders tend to lump us all together as one group -- kinda' the way that we look at dirt bike riders :-) There is no place on Campbell Mt. for sketchy workmanship.

Andrew Drouin
www.southokanagantrailalliance.com

Last edited by Admin on Tue May 28, 2013 8:44 pm; edited 4 times in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.sweetsingletrack.ca

Back to top Go down

Campbell Classic - New Burnt Rock Extn. Empty Re: Campbell Classic - New Burnt Rock Extn.

Post  1part@atime Tue May 28, 2013 9:43 am

Found this old writeup while shopping.

http://crankfernie.com/construction_guidelines.html

Construction Guidelines for Wooden Technical Trail Features

Source: IMBA Canada
Before You Start

• Make sure to get permission from your local land manager before starting any trailwork.
• All wooden technical trail features (TTF) should be carefully planned. Create a schematic design that shows the trail and all elements of the TTF including scale, location, dimensions, materials, fasteners, filters, fall zones, signs and optional lines. Get approval of the plan before beginning construction.
• All wooden features should be designed and constructed with the assistance of an experienced carpenter.
• The TTF should generally follow best management practices for exterior deck, staircase and/or pedestrian bridge design, construction and maintenance.
Materials

• Materials should be selected, installed and maintained for durability, strength, riding predictability, aesthetics and environmental acceptability.
• Select durable wood that is naturally resistant to moisture, decay, sun, heat, cold and insects. Some examples include redwood, cedar, white oak, cypress, locust and manzanita. There are also several environmentally friendly commercially treated woods that are extremely durable and weather resistant.
• Don't use wooden pallets, scrap lumber, plywood, soft woods such as pine, or other inappropriate materials that will quickly deteriorate or become unstable.
• Don't use dead trees, logs or stumps unless they are sufficient size or type of wood to withstand deterioration. Certain types of weather-resistant dead wood can be used if properly prepared by removing bark to prevent decay and following all construction guidelines.
• Do not use living trees in any way.
• Rough-sawn or hand-prepared wood will blend into primitive locations better than commercial lumber
Construction Techniques

• Wooden features should be stronger and more stable than the greatest anticipated force and weight. Use cross and diagonal bracing. The strength of the TTF shouldn't rely on the shear strength of the fasteners.
• The surface finish should be such that there are no protrusions or excessively sharp edges that pose a safety hazard.
• Decking should not extend more than a few inches beyond supports. For example, the decking on a ladder bridge shouldn't extend more than a couple inches beyond the stringers.
• Decking planks should be spaced slightly to aid drainage. Avoid gaps of greater than a couple inches in the riding surface.
• Use appropriate fasteners. Select high-quality screws, bolts and nails designed for exterior use. Fasteners must be strong, secure and corrosion resistant.
• If additional traction is required, add durable, predictable and aesthetically appropriate texture to the TTF surface. Some of the better methods include using wood with natural texture such as rough-sawn or hand split timbers, adding texture to wood by scoring with a saw, covering the riding line with anti-slip paint designed for exterior or marine use, or attaching diamond mesh lath (made from galvanized steel and used for stucco application). Chicken wire and roofing materials typically aren't durable.
• The approach to the TTF should be on dry and stable ground to help prevent water and mud from being carried onto the wood, which can cause deterioration and a slippery surface.
• Special attention should be given to abutments and places where the TTF contacts the ground. Wood should generally not touch the ground directly. Use foundation materials such as rock or pre-cast concrete footings to prevent dirt and moisture from deteriorating the base of the TTF.
• Consider pre-fabricating the structure at home. Be sure to make careful measurements in the field first.
1part@atime
1part@atime

Back to top Go down

Campbell Classic - New Burnt Rock Extn. Empty Paid Builders

Post  Admin Tue May 28, 2013 3:15 pm

I'm willing to take this one step further; if an individual is willing to petition the relevant land-owners for legal permission to construct a stunt or stunt(s) on Campbell Mt., I'm willing to put up funds to hire a journeyman carpenter to accompany / guide them through the process of design, construction and implementation of said stunt(s).

Andrew
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Campbell Classic - New Burnt Rock Extn. Empty The Deed is Done

Post  Admin Tue May 28, 2013 8:40 pm

The deed is done; please remove the stacked wood from the site within 30 days or it will be converted into a bench.

Andrew

Last edited by Admin on Wed May 29, 2013 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Campbell Classic - New Burnt Rock Extn. Empty Re: Campbell Classic - New Burnt Rock Extn.

Post  Dontfollowme Tue May 28, 2013 11:48 pm

Strange that i was actually going to post about Campbell Mtn Trail work last night.

Thanks for the trail work guys. Definitely keep me posted on a Campbell Trail Day.
Dontfollowme
Dontfollowme

Back to top Go down

Campbell Classic - New Burnt Rock Extn. Empty Campbell Mt. trail-Day

Post  Admin Wed May 29, 2013 12:56 am

Well, seeing as June 1st is International Trail Day - I don't see why we shouldn't set that as the first Burnt Rock trail-build!

This chunk of digging is a bit longer than it may have at first appeared, so I expect that we'll be putting in a few sessions on it.

How about meeting at the Burnt Rock at 10:15am on Saturday, June 1st, working till' noon? Bring beer..., I mean boots, hat, gloves, eye / skin protection hoe or McLeod, rakes.

The (epically incorrect) long-range forecast is for 'Sunny, 20 degrees' - if that holds, then I can't think of better diggin' and beer sippin' weather!

Campbell Classic - New Burnt Rock Extn. Beer-chugger

Andrew

Last edited by Admin on Thu May 30, 2013 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dbrooke Wed May 29, 2013 2:38 pm

I'm going to be up on Campbell's the same time and date with a few other guys doing some finishing touches on a trail just above where your crew will be Andrew. Perhaps I'll drag the motorhome up to the northern entrance (Mike Street's ditch area) and bring a barbecue, some burgers & smokies and some cold refreshments to reward those who pitch in to improve our local trails. Nice coincidence that it just happens to be International Trail Day! Should be good times.

Dave

dbrooke

Back to top Go down

Campbell Classic - New Burnt Rock Extn. Empty Grub and beer

Post  Admin Wed May 29, 2013 2:59 pm

That, my friend, would be very cool indeed!!

Andrew

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dontfollowme Wed May 29, 2013 5:06 pm

I shall be there
Dontfollowme
Dontfollowme

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down