Penticton Outdoor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mice - Almost Ready...

3 posters

Go down

Mice - Almost Ready... Empty Mice - Almost Ready...

Post  Admin Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:40 am

Koko and I took a good long hike around the Mice this afternoon, here are 'the goods'...

Most of the trails beyond White Tail feature soft, muddy conditions. This is exemplified by several centimeters of gumbo-muck atop frozen soil. When trod or ridden upon, it gives way and destroys that section of trail.

As such, I suggest that the best thing that one could do at this point would be to hike the area with a small rake or shovel at hand. This will allow you to repair the already damaged sections, where some folks have been riding through said muck... while getting preseason exercise and helping to maintain the trails - never a bad thing!

Speaking of tools; the club just picked up two new Corona McLeods. These heavy-duty hoes will greatly assist in trail maintenance and creation in coming years:

Mice - Almost Ready... Sh-65000

I've been hearing a lot of questions about the metal posts which have appeared in the Mice over the last year or so. The answer is that these are components of a well-established Frisbee Golf course. I've not walked the entire route, but from what I've seen, its fairly comprehensive. If anyone has a gps track of the course, I'd like to post it here...

Here is what the 'posts' look like

Mice - Almost Ready... Frisbeegolf

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.sweetsingletrack.ca

Back to top Go down

Mice - Almost Ready... Empty What is good right now?

Post  mully Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:37 pm

Thanks for the advice on the Mice. I'm wondering what is good right now. I saw the post about covert farms...anywhere else?

mully

Back to top Go down

Mice - Almost Ready... Empty Andrew D.

Post  Admin Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:51 am

...maybe the KVR :-)

Its pretty early to be asking for anything that doesn't have exclusive south aspect. The lower south, southeast and southwest face of Campbell Mt. is pretty much 'good to go', its just that getting in there is a grunt through snow, slush and mud via the north entrance.

If you've been following the Campbell Mt. discussions on this forum, you will know that gaining south/southeast face access is a priority for the club and the community right now.

(update) I have been to the lower, northwestern entrance, just inside the gate at Morgenstern's Farm, and can confirm that one can squeeze onto Campbell and make their way south via entering at Morgenstern's Gate, then hanging hard right and making your way across the low western face of Campbell Mt., popping out onto one of the many trails that begin to ascend Campbell Mt. (see map below).

Other than that, I am not aware of the situation elsewhere. If anyone wants to join me, I am going to hike into the lower slopes of Mt.Keogan, just south of OK Falls tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon, rake and clippers at hand. Should be a great day to be out on the trails, sprucen' em' up for what is sure to be most excellent spring riding!

Don't underestimate the Rattlesnake Lake trail network. One can ride a fully connected route that spans from the Dominion Radio Astrophysical Observatory in the west to the summit of McIntyre Bluffs in the east, Covert Farms in the south to high up on the foot of Mt.Keogan to the north; several hundred acres of amazing XC riding!

We often do it as a shuttle, leaving a car at Covert Farms, and driving with the 'drop vehicle' to the observatory. Even the 'pick up trip' back to the observatory tours through some pretty cool terrain.

Andrew D.

Pic below is GPS accurate to within 3 meters

Mice - Almost Ready... Northwest%20Entrance

Click here for a full-size version of the image above

Last edited by Admin on Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:37 am; edited 4 times in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Mice - Almost Ready... Empty Re: Mice - Almost Ready...

Post  Dontfollowme Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:49 pm

I was on the KVR in Summerland about two weeks ago and it still had snow on it, haven't been on it since. Will check it out this week.
Dontfollowme
Dontfollowme

Back to top Go down

Mice - Almost Ready... Empty Yesterday

Post  mully Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:06 am

I went exploring around Summerland a bit yesterday. Mt. Conkle still covered in snow, Cartwright relatively snow free on the West exposure, but shaded areas still have lots of snow. Even GH Mtn has snow on the trail to the top. Where there is no snow, there is lots of mud. I went early, so everything was still frozen. We need some warm dry weather!

mully

Back to top Go down

Post  Dontfollowme Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:44 am

I've never explored Giants Head Mtn. Whats it like? Is it just a hiking trail?
Dontfollowme
Dontfollowme

Back to top Go down

Mice - Almost Ready... Empty Giant's Head

Post  Admin Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:27 pm

Here is a map from www.SweetSingletrack.ca (shameless plug) Great trails; the best way to enjoy them is to have someone drop you off at the top...

Andrew D.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dontfollowme Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:47 pm

Oh nice! I spend way too much time in Summerland to not do any biking there. I might have to go check out this trail. Thanks for the advice.
Dontfollowme
Dontfollowme

Back to top Go down

Mice - Almost Ready... Empty Summerland

Post  Admin Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:47 pm

Ya', just be careful when descending, as the Giant's Head singletrack trail crosses the access road on numerous occasions near the bottom. This access road is quite busy during summer months.

I have some tracks for Mt.Conkle as well, but have been told by locals that there are others - which they promise to show me this summer. I'll publish them after I've had a look.

Andrew D.

Last edited by Admin on Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Mice - Almost Ready... Empty Campbell Mt. - Northwest face entrance

Post  Admin Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:15 pm

Hiked into the trail beginning at Morgenstern's Gate this afternoon. If you enter the gate, ride up the initial steep pitch, and then take the very first sharp right hand turn, you will find a trail that meanders its way up the west face of the mountain. If you follow the rock cairns that I erected today, you will also avoid the worst (but not all of) the most evil climbs. The cairns delineate a route that follow mellower switchbacks...

The trail surface is nice and firm, no open water, no mud. On the other hand, I visited the north parking lot and found it swamped in mud and some residual snowpack; a real mess in general, not helped much by the redneck rampage of dirt bikes, quads and 4x4s up there...

Andrew D.

Last edited by Admin on Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:07 am; edited 2 times in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dontfollowme Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:21 pm

How many tracks do you know so far for Mt Conkle?
Dontfollowme
Dontfollowme

Back to top Go down

Mice - Almost Ready... Empty Mt.Conkle

Post  Admin Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:09 pm

I am aware of two in that area, but am led to believe that there are several more. I'll spend a few sessions in the area this summer, publishing what I GPS on www.SweetSingletrack.ca

Andrew D.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Mice - Almost Ready... Empty Mt. Conkle

Post  mully Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:17 am

I was up Mount Conkle today and would like to thank whoever was doing trail work up there this Spring. It is a five minute ride from my house, so if anyone is thinking about doing work up there DM me. I would love to help out.

mully

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down