Penticton Outdoor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Campbell Mt. "Rock & Roll"

3 posters

Go down

Campbell Mt. "Rock & Roll" Empty Campbell Mt. "Rock & Roll"

Post  Admin Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:44 am

Spent the afternoon working on a low northwestern entrance to Campbell Mt., giving one of the club's new McLeod trail tools a thorough testing; what a 'do-it-all' trail workhorse this thing is!

At any rate, the aforementioned entrance is 'good to go', and will allow you to access both the 'South Tower' via a wildly side-sloped / exposed trail, or you can grunt it up to the Campbell Mt. Service Rd., and connect with 'The Whoop' on your way to the backside. I only worked the trail as far as just above the 'Red & Green Gate', so what you will find beyond that is anyone's guess. If what I saw today is anything to go by, the balance of the trail is likely desperately in need of some serious TLC.

I closed off the 'once-primary' two-track access route, the one that followed the fence pretty much strait up to the Red & Green Gate, as it is water-damaged beyond repair of anything short of a bobcat and blade. In its stead, I've rock-cairned and drain-dipped the switchback route shown in this link as the 'new route up'. If you visit the site I'm sure that you will agree that its pretty much the only logical access solution for that section of the mountain.

This closure is due to two things; a trail that was built on far too steep of a slope, and a trail that was utterly unmaintained for many years... In short, we have to get our collective butts in gear and start to maintain our trails more vigorously. Not only will this allow us to enjoy far better trails up and down the valley, but it will also allow us to demonstrate legitimate, properly maintained recreation trails are in place when push comes to shove and the slopes begin to be built upon.

I'll be working Mt.Keogan and Campbell Mt. over the next few weeks. If anyone wants to join me, please feel free to contact me at 250.486.2443 (Cell) or andrewdrouin "at" gmail "dot" com.

Andrew D.

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.sweetsingletrack.ca

Back to top Go down

Campbell Mt. "Rock & Roll" Empty Re: Campbell Mt. "Rock & Roll"

Post  Dontfollowme Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:18 am

I haven't done much mountain biking nor do i know the area very well but i'll be willing to help out whenever possible.
Dontfollowme
Dontfollowme

Back to top Go down

Campbell Mt. "Rock & Roll" Empty Voly' Trail Work

Post  Admin Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:37 pm

SL,

Thanx' for the 'in'. Will get you to help us on our first trail maintenance day in April; PACA will try for a total of 5 trail days in 2011.

Hiked the Campbell Mt. northwest entrance trail that I've been working on to 'the top'; where it crosses the Campbell Mt. service road and transitions into 'The Whoop'. Didn't carry tools, just did a "flick sticks, kick rocks, place animal bones in the trees" session :-)

The trail is perfect for those who enjoy a challenging ascent or a flowy descent. It does however require a good deal of trail work between the green and red gate and the service road... Many sections are nastilly washed out, but nothing that couldn't be repaired with a small crew of determined riders in one afternoon. We have it 'on the menu' as a PACA Trail Day in 2011.

A.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Campbell Mt. "Rock & Roll" Empty Campbell Mt. Backside (East Face)

Post  Admin Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:10 am

Hiked around the back side of Campbell Mt. this afternoon; its not 100% dry back there, but the few puddles that are around back are easily avoided. This means that the Campbell Classic loop is snow-free, allowing top to bottom / all around the mountain access.

Spent an hour or so mapping out the new route that will replace the massively eroded Canyon rim / Fenceline trail. There is a good bit of work to be done there, but nothing that a group of keen riders can't implement in a day.

Campbell Mt. is officially wide open for the business of shreddin' in 2011 - enjoy!

Andrew D.

(PS: This link defines the reroute project that PACA will be implementing on the backside trail on Sunday, May 28th)

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Campbell Mt. "Rock & Roll" Empty Officially been raged

Post  1part@atime Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:55 pm

Ahhhhhhhhh. Finally got my bike on and apparently my legs aren't all that strong again.
First ride of the year so I rode the road up and DQ'd it down.

Not a fast time, I'm certain many of you could destroy it.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/75861600
1part@atime
1part@atime

Back to top Go down

Campbell Mt. "Rock & Roll" Empty Re: Campbell Mt. "Rock & Roll"

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down