Penticton Outdoor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Campbell - Fence-line Diversion

3 posters

Go down

Campbell - Fence-line Diversion Empty Campbell - Fence-line Diversion

Post  Admin Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:26 am

The Campbell Mt. fenceline diversion trail is coming along nicely. I went back up there this evening and added a bit more to the effort. I encourage you to join us in this project, as you will appreciate the alternative to riding the cursed and eroded fence-line (most push it)! The next trail work-day up there will be this coming Tuesday, June 14th at 7pm, meeting at my place.

Lemme' know if you want to do your part for your trails 250.486.2443 I'll even buy the beer!

Andrew D.

Campbell - Fence-line Diversion Newtrailkoko

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.sweetsingletrack.ca

Back to top Go down

Campbell - Fence-line Diversion Empty more work done.

Post  1part@atime Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:35 pm

I went up instead of work this afternoon and dug out 2 beers worth of trail. It is a very rough cut as I only had a spade and a pry-bar.
We definitely need some water up there, the switchback we built up with rock is now talcum powder sand.
1part@atime
1part@atime

Back to top Go down

Campbell - Fence-line Diversion Empty Must have just missed ya

Post  Highpockets Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:43 am

Gus and I rode in and dug the trail a little further. Trail is all the way to the last switchback now. I will miss the work party in the morning (sorry). Have a good one and see ya Sunday for the group ride.

Highpockets

Campbell - Fence-line Diversion Hpim1411

Last edited by Highpockets on Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:43 pm; edited 10 times in total
Highpockets
Highpockets

Back to top Go down

Campbell - Fence-line Diversion Empty Rock

Post  Admin Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:24 am

I'm thinking some pea gravel or such, perhaps crush of some kind. Will look into hauling a 5gal bucket of it in.

Thankx for your efforts boyz'

A.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Campbell - Fence-line Diversion Empty connected

Post  1part@atime Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:52 pm

Poor turnout at Smith & Co this morning.
I just headed to Campbell with my shovel and a bike and did a bit more. I flagged the areas that need a closer look or re-dos. The switchback is tighter than the others, but I breezed through on the 'bird so even the XXL 29 should make it. It could use more fill, but I wasn't gonna haul spade fulls of dirt 100'.
I flagged a nice 'gravel' pile we can get some fill from, just gotta remember a bucket.

The trail now connects up to the established game trail which connected to the fenceline climb, it needs an entrance switchback and some cleaning.

Give me a call next trip so I can undo the switchback if you don't like it.
1part@atime
1part@atime

Back to top Go down

Campbell - Fence-line Diversion Empty MIA

Post  Admin Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:19 pm

John and I were set to go up there at 11am this morning, but I hurt my back last night so had to pass on it.

Regarding this fence-line trail; we need to do a [really] good job on it, as this is on private property and we have specific permission to work there. As such, going the extra mile is of prime importance; it demonstrates our commitment to 'doing the right thing'.

Also, since this is a PACA-made trail, and many people will see / use it over the years, it directly reflects on the club and specifically on us. This trail and all of the trails that we build / maintain must be core examples of IMBA trail standards.

As such, lets keep the entrance / exits closed until the trail is truly ready for prime time. I suggest that all of the switchbacks must be bullet-proof, and will need more work before we 'reveal' the trail to the public.

Andrew D.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Campbell - Fence-line Diversion Empty Re: Campbell - Fence-line Diversion

Post  1part@atime Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:39 pm

Agreed.
If you want to bring a lawn chair, a cooler for yourself and a pointing stick, I'd be more than happy to be the meat behind the shovel and bucket.

How or what do we add to the silt to make it more erosion resistant? Water would be my first choice, but clearly not an option.
1part@atime
1part@atime

Back to top Go down

Campbell - Fence-line Diversion Empty Trail Subtrate

Post  Admin Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:49 pm

I'm planning to bring buckets of a crush known as quarter-inch-minus; basically landscaping rock.

Its available at numerous wholesale outlets in Penticton. PACA will buck up for it as its more than affordable. I'll haul 4 - five gallon buckets in at a time, perhaps adding as many as 12 buckets overall.

I'd say that most of these should go into that corner where we brought in the massive boulders, but I have not seen the lower switchback yet. Will get on the project in a few days.

Andrew

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  1part@atime Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:15 pm

I did not mean to imply I just slapped a corner and trail by running with a shovel. It has a rock base (not nearly as big as the one you did) but it isn't prettied yet. There is still a big grassy pile of waste that did not clear it when I heaved. It has an easy supply of stone near that corner to build up and fill but I did not want to make it too massive until it was approved.
When I did a light test ride up it, it flowed beautifully. My parts should be widened though as I tend to think small.

*edit*
Oh, and never created a visible connection to any existing trails. The game trail is untouched for about 50' where it joins the lower fenceline path.
1part@atime
1part@atime

Back to top Go down

Campbell - Fence-line Diversion Empty Tnx.

Post  Admin Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:24 pm

No worries. Appreciate all of your assistance on this project!

Andrew D.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Campbell - Fence-line Diversion Empty Gusdog

Post  Admin Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:55 am

Gar'

Thats a great pic of gusdog and the 29er!

A.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Campbell - Fence-line Diversion Empty Made it !

Post  Highpockets Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:42 am

Anywhere those golden handlebars can go my big wheeled XXL can go. Rode your tight switchback last night 1part@atime. It rides just fine. the trail is really coming together.

Gary
Highpockets
Highpockets

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down