Penticton Outdoor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Got Bear?

Go down

Got Bear? Empty Got Bear?

Post  Admin Sat May 25, 2013 11:31 pm

Got "bear'd" off my intended route this evening. About three-quarters of the way through the Wiltse Highlands loop I crested a height of land to find a mamma bear and her two cubs staring at me What a Face What a Face affraid

The cubs whipped up nearby trees and mamma ran in a large circle, first away from me, then back in my direction. I had already dismounted and had a can of bear-spray in one hand and my 10" saw in the other.

Try as I might, shouting and hollering, talking loudly at her, waving my arms like a madman - I couldn't get her to abandon her post near the trees hosting her cubs. She repeatedly clawed the ground and made loud 'chuffing' noises with her throat. Not good...

The catch was that said trees were very close to the trail that I needed to navigate in order to complete the intended loop.

With no way around - above or below that canyon and cliff-laden area of trail, I was officially "bear'd" and found myself turning back to return from whence I came...

The bonus of riding solo; you see more wildlife

The bogus of riding solo; there are not enough of you to scare off big animals that block your path

Andrew

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.sweetsingletrack.ca

Back to top Go down