Penticton Outdoor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What I did on my Summer Vacation :-)

Go down

What I did on my Summer Vacation   :-) Empty What I did on my Summer Vacation :-)

Post  Admin Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:45 am

I've recently completed a nearly month-long rental-car + mountain-bike tour of a whack of NS singletrack trails - ten different trail networks in all - and here is what I discovered;

Roots

Easterners must have developed the same kind of adaptive riding habits for wet root riding as we Westerners have for large, sharp rocks!  I had a {crash-course} in root-riding during my stay; but was figuring it out pretty well by the end of my visit.  For the most part - with the exception of the trail described below - NS trails are root-laden to a degree which forces one into a whole new style of riding.

The "Fight Trails"

Holy Shiite - what can only be described as a national treasure!  Granite whales, leading to granite whales, punctuated by brief bits of flat granite with the odd wooden bridging thrown in for good measure.  Traction isn't a concern up to about 60 degrees as the porous granite offers bite like a cheetah!  I hope that NS riders are aware of just how rare that kind of riding terrain is in Canada, if not North America.  I was so blown away by the Fight Trail Network that I found myself falling in lust with mountain biking all over again - this from a bike-bum who explores trails most days of the week throughout the year!  In my opinion, the Fight Trails offer the most flat-out fun riding of the many trail networks that I visited while in NS - and perhaps Canada as a whole!  (Pics below)  

Beer

Happened upon an establishment called Maxwell's Plum in Halifax.  60 types of beer on tap and amazing grub; need I say more ?

Kudos

I'd like to thank the Trail Flow crew for showing me around a bit while I was in their neighborhood, The Bike Peddler in Dartmouth for fixing up my broken parts in very short order and biketrout.com for supplying a tasty list of trails for me to explore while I was in-province.  I'll be back!

Flying

Blow the extra air-miles for a first-class airline ticket; you'll be pampered enroute, don't have to pay to have your bike shipped out, nor for oversize / overweight baggage.  That, along with 'special' menus, extra leg-room, comfortable seats and personalized service make it more than worthwhile.

Andrew Drouin
sweetsingletrack.ca
southokanagantrailalliance.com

Crazily challenging rooty trails in many areas

What I did on my Summer Vacation   :-) Rooty%20Trails

...and pretty nice in others

What I did on my Summer Vacation   :-) Bent%20Tree%20Trail

The 'Fight Trails' - The 40-degree slab on the right is the trail - and you stick to it like glue!

What I did on my Summer Vacation   :-) IMG_2694

'Fight Trails' - I'm seriously addicted!

What I did on my Summer Vacation   :-) Granite%20Trails

'Fight Trails' - Resting between the 'whales'

What I did on my Summer Vacation   :-) Granite%20Goodness

Speaking of whales - my family and I went whale-watching off Brier Island

What I did on my Summer Vacation   :-) Whale%20of%20a%20tail

I got lucky and snapped this amazing pic' of one doing a barrel-roll near the boat

What I did on my Summer Vacation   :-) Whale-Roll

The Bay of Fundy, near my parent's ranch - (((crazily high tides!)))

What I did on my Summer Vacation   :-) Halls%20Harbour

Same area, 'Cape Split' - Got my mom to do a 10 mile hike with me to the look-off!

What I did on my Summer Vacation   :-) Cape%20Split%20III

The "Split" mentioned is this bit O' land, all on it's lonesome...

What I did on my Summer Vacation   :-) Cape%20Split

Met up with my good friend Peter Matthews (moved east in 2012) and rode some great trails

What I did on my Summer Vacation   :-) Peter%27s%20Creekside%20Trail

Some of the trails look a lot like the West Coast

What I did on my Summer Vacation   :-) Web%20Riding

But many of the lichen found out east are, to say the least, "unique" (Lobaria pulmonaria)

What I did on my Summer Vacation   :-) Lichen

My sis' took me to what can only be described as "the most beautiful creek I've ever seen"

What I did on my Summer Vacation   :-) Creekbed

And I took her to 'On-Tree Adventures' - Zip lines punctuated by challenge sections

What I did on my Summer Vacation   :-) Kelly%20TreeTops

Don't know what he was thinking, but the pilot let me fly the plane for a while during an aerial tour of NS!

What I did on my Summer Vacation   :-) Flying

A Nova Scotia phenomenon - !!Megga-lawns!! (don't ask me why, but they're everywhere)

What I did on my Summer Vacation   :-) Front%20Lawn

Horses at my parents ranch - believe it or not, they're more fun to ride than bikes!

What I did on my Summer Vacation   :-) Horses

Hummingbirds fighting outside my folk's front porch (high on sugar-water)

What I did on my Summer Vacation   :-) Hummingbirds%20Fighting

Andrew
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.sweetsingletrack.ca

Back to top Go down