Penticton Outdoor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Campbell Spring 2014

2 posters

Go down

Campbell Spring 2014 Empty Campbell Spring 2014

Post  1part@atime Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:37 pm

Day 2 of Campbell Maintenance :
If there is snow on the ground - too soon to ride.
If there is ice on the trail - too soon to ride.
If there is tacky mud on the trail - too soon to ride.
If it feels like you have 2 flat tires because you've sunk so far into the muck - too soon to ride.
Even if you start out on a nice piece of singletrack, the instant you find yourself in muck, there will be more ahead. Just turn around.

Just returned from a second 2.5hr maintenance hike from the yellow gate up Classic to the DQ table. It has been de-rutted with some added drainage. The tacky spots from the day prior are near dry until the frost comes up. I cannot vouch for the rest of Classic past the DQ because I went up Suffern. I can only guess it is pretty dry due to the southern exposure.

As I climbed Suffern Switchbacks I was continually kept busy by 3 riders who though it was a good idea to be there. Those three riders did more damage than the dirt biker who rode the entire trail and not once grabbed the throttle. Kudos to you Mr.Dirtbiker whoever you are. (I'm assuming Mike S. due to the fence line off-shoots)
You premature etrackulators on the other hand, keep it to the lower side of the mountain. The northern trails are nowhere near ready for you. I do not want to spend my free time clearing ruts that already had erosion evidence from running water.

Classic / DQ is looking pretty safe right now, another day like today and it'll hold up. Until the frost comes up, then back off.
Suffern Switchbacks could use 2-3 days.
Chicken Noodle. CLOSED. There is snow right at the turn off, why anybody would think riding this is a good idea is beyond me.
She-Goes-Down. CLOSED. When you see logs and branches stacked on a trail, it does not mean clear them, it means the builder/maintainer has chosen to close the trail.

Come on people, use your brains. If you see people riding, coming back muddy, etc.. let them know that there is labour involved in maintenance.

Smarten up, ride the south-western exposures.

Signed,
an exhausted citizen.
1part@atime
1part@atime

Back to top Go down

Campbell Spring 2014 Empty Re: Campbell Spring 2014

Post  Highpockets Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:24 am

We were up Campbell this evening. Working out some of the early season ruts others left behind. Good news is Campbell mountain looks good to ride right to the top now. It has dried up quite nicely. Enjoy!

G.
Highpockets
Highpockets

Back to top Go down

Post  1part@atime Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:37 am

Especially if you are a hopped up side-by-side and were doing top to bottom and around runs in 15minutes all evening long.
And loaded your rig back on a trailer where you came through just uphill from the cattle guard in the dark of night.
And were from Alberta.
And had a BC trailer license.
And the plates on your red Dodge pickup were ......

Or if you were 2 drunkards on a quad out for a putt-putt and some putt-putt (if you know what I mean...)
1part@atime
1part@atime

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down