Penticton Outdoor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Ellis Canyon Trail Diversion Project

3 posters

Go down

New Ellis Canyon Trail Diversion Project Empty New Ellis Canyon Trail Diversion Project

Post  Admin Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:47 pm

RANT ON

We had a small turnout for the Sunday PACA trail-day... which is sad, as all of you like to ride, but few wanna' actually put the effort into building / clearing trails - that you so like to ride...

RANT OFF

John, Curt and I showed up to flag / cut in the new Ellis Canyon Extension trail this morning, and despite our crew's small size, we managed to get quite a bit accomplished. If only we could get a few more people out for trail clearing and beer, the valley would be able to showcase a great many more well-maintained trails.

Below are some pics' of the afternoon;

Some of today's accomplishments

New Ellis Canyon Trail Diversion Project New%20Ellis%20Trail

Curt; lookin' kinda' devious with the pruners

New Ellis Canyon Trail Diversion Project Kirk%20-%20Loppers

Sweet (new) singletrack

New Ellis Canyon Trail Diversion Project New%20Ellis%20Trail2

We are hosting one final 'official trail-day' Saturday morning, Oct. 8th at 10am - meeting at Andrew's home at 601 Braid St. in Penticton. We urge you to do your part for the trails that you so love to ride. Someone has to build / maintain them; and as I've said so many times before; there is no 'Mom' or 'Mr.Ranger' to do it for us; Do your part, don't be a poacher!

All of our trail work is legal / sanctioned, so its not a matter of 'sneakily creating trails', as has occurred through most of the hike-bike trail history of the valley. We have the full 'thumbs-up' from the Ministry of Forests to ‘Get er' Done’ - so join us in creating something cool and legit'; something special that will be enjoyed by you, your friends, family and many others for untold years into the future.

Kudo's to the work of John and Curt today; you guys rock!

Andrew D.

Last edited by Admin on Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:22 am; edited 6 times in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.sweetsingletrack.ca

Back to top Go down

New Ellis Canyon Trail Diversion Project Empty Re: New Ellis Canyon Trail Diversion Project

Post  1part@atime Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:51 pm

I would have shown up, but I can't hardly open my hands or grasp tools. Plus I've got a mean hobble from my hip2berm contact on Saturday. Thirdly, my wife is finally home and that would not have gone over well.

Looks good though, too bad this town has so many selfish riders (harsh, but true).

1part@atime
1part@atime

Back to top Go down

New Ellis Canyon Trail Diversion Project Empty Ride : Work : Ride

Post  Admin Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:07 pm

Hi man, I heard from Curt about your situation.

That 'Rant' wasn't directed at you by any means, but rather, the 98% of riders who profess to love the sport, but give absolutely nothing back to it in return. That's just lame!

I'm not sure what the answer is; I've tried to bribe folks with food, beer and kind words of encouragement; but it's always the same small handful of voly's who show up for trail days; month after month, year after year.

This "ride to poach" mentality is one of the things that drives dedicated trail builders to hide their new trail work.

It's not like we're asking a lot; two or three measly hours per year for trails (!). If all hikers / riders / equestrians / trail-runners etc. could get their priorities straight, all of our trails would be buff and new trails would be implemented in an afternoon!

On the other hand, this may explain the popularity of road-riding in the valley :-)

Andrew

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.sweetsingletrack.ca

Back to top Go down

New Ellis Canyon Trail Diversion Project Empty Re: New Ellis Canyon Trail Diversion Project

Post  Dontfollowme Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:22 pm

You should all become roadies like myself. Shaved legs are cool.
Dontfollowme
Dontfollowme

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down