Penticton Outdoor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Campbell Mt. - Eastern Access UPDATE

2 posters

Go down

Campbell Mt. - Eastern Access UPDATE Empty Campbell Mt. - Eastern Access UPDATE

Post  Admin Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:42 pm

Many of you have no doubt read the article in both local papers about the shakeout of the Campbell Mt. via Pleasant Valley access issue. For the rest of you, here's the scoop:

The City of Penticton has returned half of the developer's funds and kept half to apply toward a crossing of Penticton Cr., at a location of our choosing The City of Penticton has further agreed with PACA that the best access route available is the old two-track (pretty much singletrack these days) trail which has been championed by the bike club all along!

The mayor approached me several days ago and suggested that the City of Penticton is planning a major upgrade to the existing dam behind the water treatment plant in 2011 / 2012 and suggests that the project could include a covered pedestrian crossing atop it, something along the lines of the crossing upon the dam over the channel parkway between Redwing and the Penticton Rose Gardens.

Despite the fact that Greyback Construction has generously offered to donate a bridge and labor to install it, PACA feels that an integrated solution (water dam and creek crossing in one) is a preferable solution. This option will present a cleaner aesthetic to the area and allow us to sidestep the major environmental proceedings associated with the installation of yet another bridge over this section of creek.

We envision an integrated crossing, followed by a wide stairway and viewing platforms, such as that which was constructed by BC Parks at the Fintry Falls site (image below). This short stairway will make it's way up to a nearby plateau of land and adjacent trail system, beyond which point we can ride up the Mt.

I invite anyone 'out there' with input on this project to step up and kick in your two cents worth...

Andrew Drouin
President PACA

PS: Here is a link to the Penticton Western News article

Campbell Mt. - Eastern Access UPDATE Fintry%20II

Last edited by Admin on Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.sweetsingletrack.ca

Back to top Go down

Campbell Mt. - Eastern Access UPDATE Empty Re: Campbell Mt. - Eastern Access UPDATE

Post  1part@atime Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:20 pm

Thank you for being the voice of two wheels.
1part@atime
1part@atime

Back to top Go down

Campbell Mt. - Eastern Access UPDATE Empty Andrew

Post  Admin Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:04 am

Thanks man, but it needs to be all of our voices... otherwise the club becomes Andrew's bias. Everyone has one or more biases about everything and anything, and its not cool that the club should be stuck with mine :-)

I always encourage everyone to speak up and say whats on their minds. I ask that whenever you see that PACA is doing something that will affect other riders, especially when it comes to dealing with land management groups, feel free to participate in the discussion - and encourage those you ride with to do the same.

Andrew D.

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.sweetsingletrack.ca

Back to top Go down

Campbell Mt. - Eastern Access UPDATE Empty Re: Campbell Mt. - Eastern Access UPDATE

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down